Friday, October 26, 2007

I am a NEIMAN MARCUS girl....


and always will be, even if these days it is only at heart. This is a caricature of me that was done by a famous political cartoonist....at my home.

I love neimans...or NEEDLESS MARKUP...and always have. I think it was the only benefit I can recall of my so-called marriage....that lasted 12 years. I miss the couture salon. I miss having the money to buy new Chanel suits. Talk about artwork...those suits are worth every penny and then some. ...and own a place far and above other couture.

I am now consigned to their discount store called LAST CALL and only on special occasions. Divorce brings inevitable status changes. But I can still oogle their wares online....for me, they always have the most stunning clothes and accessories...and the photos bring inspiration.

I have always been into fashion. Not for its status...but, for its beautiful simplicity. I grew up sewing the clothes, that I could only one day dream of affording. I grew up at the tail end of the hippie rage...coffeehouses, pot,dragging torn embroidered bell bottoms, james taylor, linda ronstadt, joni...oh i still love you, mitchell,.....james brown...and then I went to college...and DISCO FEVER hit...and I sewed Chloe, yves st laurent, geoffry beene (jumpsuits remember them?),anne klein, etc. to be whirled and twirled in. John Travolta, Patrick Swayze...

I pray to the couture gods...which inspire us, in ways we don't realize....even when we are not privileged to attend their runway shows...and better yet can afford to buy their wares. I loved that movie "The Devil Wears Prada" It is so true, their remark about THE trickle down effect several years later....because eventually all of us wear the effects of couture...even when your budget is kohls, target, walmart...etc.

So again today....I am supplying you with inspiration from the COUTURE GODS....those that create...and get picked up by the likes of NEIMANS...as these things provide a starting point to creativity ....that YOU CAN HAVE....even without a Couture level purse.....if you have the skills to create....and if you knit, crochet or sew...you can make things that will be even better...check this inspiration out. AND, employ your god given INGENUITY....instead of oogling...or resenting those that CAN BUY it. YOURS WILL BE BETTER...because, you made it yourself....Imperfections are what beauty and style is about!!!!!!




This scarf...is wonderful...mink and cashmere. But...it could be done with fun fur and felting..... take a look at it...just fringes and welting....and rosettes..... make a base scarf..alternating fun fur and wool...and add the rosettes.........How do you make rosettes?




either knit or crochet in a straight row.....and then take the end....and wind in a spiral....tack with sewing thread and you have a flower...or a rosette. so what it is not mink....it is fun fur and wool.














this next photo...garter stitch a triangular shawl...add lace...


either crocheted lace...or knitted lace....or store bought lace...or take a piece of wool that you buy at a store...and sew lace onto it...or add your own lace that you knit or crochet.







make a shawl...basic triangular shawl and add fur to the edge....real fur cut from one of your old furs....or one of the fun fur yarns.....






















Cast on a number of stitches....based on gauge of the yarns selected
.....knit...and then next row in a ribbon yarn...k2 together...either every so many rows...or k2 together...every other stitch...to get the runch effect.


and you will have this look. how easy is this look....cast on a large number of stitches, knit or crochet... and alternate with a row of ...knit two together with one of those fabulous tape or ribbon yarns...and you have this look


I see this stole done with mohair and nylon ribbon....perfect for halloween...your shroud stole!!!!!





Look at this pattern...fair isle phanatics....this is for you..graph it up...



intarsia knitting or crochet...graph up a pattern....and make it into a shawl...perfect for the cooler fall weather........is it not?

cost per neiman's $1300, it is worth your time and effort...do it!





wishing you a fabulous fun weekend,
smiles to you,
DC

No comments: